Saturday 10 September 2011

Summer reading...

So I'm nearly back up to date on the book front and August was a light month on the book front, possibly due to the distraction of a new iPhone...

So just three books to get through in August.

Back on Murder by J Mark Bertrand
Another who dunnit, I think perhaps best suited for a Rankin fan like me. A grumpy US detective that goes off-piste and gets himself into trouble reminds me of Edinburgh's Rebus, they even had the young, good looking girl detective. I'm not sure if it was because I missed the Edinburgh element or the case was not as unusual as Rankin's but something about this just didn't click for me. I wanted to find out what happened but I wished I was reading it in paper so that I could flick to back and see, I'd pick up a Rebus novel rather than this if I was you...

A Mourning Wedding by Carola Dunn
A misleading title if ever there was one as there was no wedding... I think the biggest shock in this whole thing was that Daisy's best fried who should have known better invited Daisy to stay, the result two deaths and her fiancĂ©e was also nearly killed. That said it was still a good read although not one of the best in the story I worked this one out just too early.

More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea by Tom Reynolds
I love Tom Reynolds straight to the point approach, I read his first book just before I started this blog and so when I saw the second one floating around I gave it a try. It was just as good as the first and amazingly it never got boring, the number of cases an ambulance crew sees gives Tom a wealth of material, from matern-a-taxi, to colds, to A&E queue jumpers including just a few real emergencies. I guess you have to be one of those people who likes to watch Casualty for this one to hit the mark, but as I'm one of those folk that's fine and I loved it...

No comments:

Post a Comment