Sunday 24 February 2013

An Ashton farewell

Ashton's Evening
La Valse
This piece was beautiful and I look forward to seeing it again. The dresses were perfect prom dresses, just like every little girl dreams about growing up. The patterns were beautiful, although there were few lines that weren't quite straight bringing to mind the words of my dance teacher 'you wouldn't expect to see wonky lines at the Royal Ballet.' Overall this piece was my highlight of the evening.

'Meditation' from Thais
In the midst of the evening this one I struggle to remember. I do recall that on the empty stage Leanne Benjamin and Valeri Hristov looked so small.

Voices of Spring
Alexander Campbell and Yuhui Choe provided a real highlight for the evening. Scattering the stage with white petals Choe and Campbell were a joyous pairing. They not only looked like they were having a lot of fun, making me want to dance too but gave a flawless performance. I'll be looking out for Campbell / Choe pairings in future performances as I want to see more.

Monotones I and II
The costumes were a little off-putting and in monotone I the dancers looked a little frog like. Overall I wasn't too keen on this piece, especially Montones I. In Montones II Edward Watson and Nehemiah Kish seemed to be doing their best to tie Marianela Nunez into knots, but she proved to be remarkably flexible and Montones II picked up.

Marguerite & Armand
A farewell for Tamara Rojo and Sergei Polunin at the Royal Ballet. I'd not seen this ballet before and I have to admit I didn't particularly like it and wasn't sure it showed either Rojo / Polunin off to their best. In particular I felt like Polunin was not on form at the start of the performance, although by the end his dancing was impressive. The evening finished on a high with more curtain calls than you could count, a cameo appearance from Carlos Acosta and a mountain of flowers thrown from the boxes. A better farewell a girl could not dream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment