Wednesday 14 August 2013

Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2013: Day four

My last day in Edinburgh and I was keen to fit in as much as I could before my 6.30 train. Having dropped my bags I headed back up the Royal Mile this time it was really humming with loads of acts out fliering and a great atmosphere. The street acts were actually pretty engaging and I stopped to watch a few, especially a young boy (Luke Hunter) busking. Then my Edinburgh food must Mum's (Monster Mash) for lunch, yum.

Lead Pencil, Underbelly Bristo Square
Described as a cross between Art Attack and Saved by the Bell this show was a trip to the '90s. It would possibly only make sense to people who were teenagers in the 1990s, with three high energy performers and lots of felt tip pen props. The sound track took me back to our Year 9 disco and then Skool disco at uni and the dancing was nuts. We particularly loved the Nokia 3310 song and if you're in the 25-35 age bracket fit this into your schedule for a silly start to your afternoon.

Wardens, Assembly Roxy
This was on my list as the only chance to see Thom Tuck at the Fringe. It was a hostage situation with three traffic wardens, a police community support officer and a random (Thom Tuck) who just followed the crowd. It was an amusing hour with seemingly mundane conversations with a comedy twist. As one of the few things on my list that I actually managed to see this was a fine final show for my Fringe.

I finished off my Fringe with a drink at the Udderbelly Pasture, the best way to finish a Festival.
So to sum up my Fringe 2013, I have ranked the shows I saw in order of preference:
1. Festival of the Spoken Nerd
2. Men
3. Guilt and Shame
4. Wardens
5. Oxford Imps
6. Bluebeard
7. Spank! (It would be 10 for the show I saw, but ranking it here as I think that on a normal night it would still be a pretty good night)
8. Midsummer's Night Savoy (but it has finished)
9. Gordon Southern
10. Big Value Comedy Late
11. Does My Face look Big in This (I wouldn't recommend this at all)

Things I didn't manage to see but really wanted to:
1. Make the News
2. Austentatious
3. Boy with Tape on His Face
4. The Play that Went Wrong
5. Improverts 

No comments:

Post a Comment