Friday 19 August 2011

Oops the shows I forgot and the ones I don't really recommend...

I'm definitely starting to think that I saw too many shows as I logged on to my Edinburgh Fringe page to check out what I saw and realised I had missed half the shows... So below are a few of my higher ranking shows and then the last ones are those that I didn't get or just weren't for me.

To those I forgot, I'm so sorry you were all great!

Forgotten four star shows
Fresher the Musical at Pleasance Dome
I laughed a lot during this show as everything they said / sang reminded me of how I felt to be a fresher. I left the performance wishing I could go back to those days, perhaps more so as I was watching in my former student union. Sometimes it felt a bit American, but maybe that was the head mikes, it was strange feeling as I almost thought I knew the words and could sing along when that was very much not the case. A great mix up of all the stereotypes and Rupert's rap was genius, Basil I hope you get lucky by the end of uni :-) My one note of caution is to try and avoid sitting in the sets on stage left as the drum kit was deafening and sometimes I couldn't hear the words.

The Horne Section at Assembly George Square
This was our first evening show of 2011 and I hadn't realised it was Alex Horne until we arrived and the guys whose table we hijacked told us. On reflection it was a good thing I didn't know as I had previously seen a very early preview of Alex's stand-up show Birdwatching (about 4 years ago in the basement of Fopp, Tottenham Court Road), I didn't enjoy it... But this was a different kettle of fish altogether, the Horn band with drummer and piano added a little sparkle and the giant wheel of fortune gave it an edge. I was super excited that we got Mark Watson one of my favourite 'big comedians', it was nice to see Tim Vine though I'm not sure I could site through an hour of his one-liners and the tumble act did not float my boat. But the highlight of the evening was Alex and his band doing Morris dancing to Beyonce's Single Ladies, it has to be seen to be believed...

I didn't have a three and half stars before but feel that I need one now...
Improverts at the Bedlam Theatre
Again I always go see the Edinburgh Improverts, they remind of many a Friday evening laughing at the antics of Humphrey Ker, Thom Tuck, David Reed and many more... Somehow even though they have moved on to their solo shows (see my previous two posts) the Edinburgh Imps have kept their magic and somehow the other other Improverts companies I've seen at the Fringe before do not match up. Of course you are taking a risk on the audience attending and the night we went they let the team down but probably due to a lack of alcohol. But all my favourite games were there and I laughed the night away before heading to Underbelly for a dance.

Translunar Paradise at the Pleasance Dome
Another addition to my final quiet and downbeat day, this show raising money for cancer research was heart warming. The incredible silent story of an elderly couple and when the wife dies her husband relives their life, the highs and the lows. I loved the use of masks and again these masks seemed to have expressions I also loved the seamless transitions and the clarity of the looking back scenes. My mind did wonder at times and perhaps a funny show in between would have put me in the right frame of mind for this performance.

Three star shows that didn't make it into the last post
Dead Cat Bounce: Caged Heat at the Pleasance Courtyard
This group we picked up last year through Spank! and saw their show in the Gilded Balloon Basement. This year they have upgraded to the Pleasance theatre and feel like a real Rock Band! It was particularly good to be able to hear all the lyrics this time. However I regretfully put this as a three star show thanks to their request to allow latecomers and the way the venue handled this. The theatre was full and then at about 20minutes in around 30 latecomers were let in. The venue staff spent ages trying to find seats and squishing us all up which knocked me and my friend out of the spirit. Additionally children are allowed in and if you are uncomfortable sitting next to a nine year old with some pretty heavy double entendres then perhaps best to buy the CD and not risk it.

Three star show, but I think just the night I went...
ShowStopper! the Improvised Musical at the Gilded Balloon
Another show relying on it's audience was let down by the audience and the late running venue, meaning we once again had to leave early. That said I hadn't really bought into the Viking theme, the performance felt a bit prescriptive and the venue too large for real improvisation. I have heard great things about this group but I felt let down, although I was in real awe of the teams ability to sing on demand...

Two and a half star show
Pollyanna meets Piaf at The Space, Surgeon's Hall
What really let this show down was the promise of Piaf and there just wasn't enough for me. I liked a couple of the songs but I felt that the performance lacked a bit of oomph, particularly on the happy songs. It was a nice way to spend an hour and I didn't want my money back but I also didn't really feel like I'd gained anything.

You want me to do what? at C at ECA
Another show that just didn't deliver on the promise of the advert. The advert implied it was going to be amusing but it really wasn't. In a frustrating venue that you couldn't get into because it wasn't signed and the fire door wasn't activated from the outside. Once in the small stuffy room, I didn't feel like the show had the energy it needed to pull it through. It was a bit disjointed and for me the emotion didn't carry through to the audience as the actress told the story of her time as a leukaemia nurse. I think perhaps as a medical biologist I just wanted more reality, I'm never keen on looking back dream like shows and this was a prime example but maybe you'll love it and the Fringe is about taking a chance sometimes.

One star show
Peeling PVA's, Happier mache at Just the Tonic
This was the first time I've ever been given a comp ticket for the Fringe and I'm glad I didn't pay to see this show. The only sketch that I genuinely loved was the Duke of York sketch, incredibly clever and funny. However the rest lacked conviction, the set was too patchy and rickety and distracted from the performance. I did also enjoy the self checkout sketch but felt that it didn't follow through on the joke in the right way. The comedy was very young and perhaps with time it might improve? I think perhaps give them a miss year and take a peek next year to see what's changed...

In my last Edinburgh post I'll rank the shows in order of what to see as I seem to have got a bit mixed up in my reviews...

No comments:

Post a Comment